We game out looks, simple motion & camera moves prior to building in detail & realism. It's a trial run.
3D VFX from Superframe
Hello:) This is an online RFP, sorf of.
VFX, or visual effects, are 3D animated graphics taken to the photographic level. It's what the film studios use to make movies. This is our demo page as we get things going as a studio, where we focus on detail, realism and a few use cases you'd be hard pressed to put into 'live' practice.
This page is best viewed on up-to-date Chrome (v75) or Firefox (v68) on mobile, tablet/iPad or desktop computer.
The videos & imagery on this page are biased towards high resolution rather than quick delivery so they may take some time to load. We advise a fast connection / WiFi and a device with plenty of RAM.
What is Superframe?
We're a content creation & design agency with a strong focus on realistic VFX, 3D animation & design, including graphics, brands & web design/development. Basically, we can do most stuff at both basic and advanced levels (Google JAMstack).
We use visual effects software specifically made for photo-realistic image generation instead of the pretty common CAD software enhanced with rendering plugins still popular with a lot of companies, even big ones.
We've got some examples for you. Let's have a look at some of the steps in our VFX process & explore a bit about VFX in general.
Pre-Viz: Low-quality proof of concept shots
We *can* buy pre-made 3D models but they often aren't well suited to close-up shots & still need work before they're presentable. They can make some good images, but we can go much better.
a better way to use low-cost models
this pair of ospreys aren't close to the camera, so the lack of detail doesn't really matter. To safely use a low detail model you need to be sure you're never going to want that detail later.
Animation: Mirage 2000 Jets over New Doha
We created a close proximity flight demonstration at fast jet speeds over New Doha Intl Airport. We can pick & choose our location, weather, aircraft types, whether or not to include other air traffic & then design the shots we would like to see. Fancy lighting up the reheats for a bit of octane? No problem.
making our own models
What happens if we create our own models from scratch? We get detail where we want it and also better control of everything else; materials, surface texture, lighting & even animation afterwards are all taken to another level.
Modelling: Pratt & Whitney R-4360 Radial Engine
This radial engine model was made in-house at Superframe & demonstrates a much higher level of realism than the Mirage 2000 jets. It just looks...better.
We can import geometry from CAD models if you've got them but sometimes it'safely just better to re-make it from scratch. That way, the model is made for purpose & the rest of the process is more efficient. This super matters with animation, where we might want to render 30,000 frames or something ;)
Photo-Matching: Product Design Example
We can match a 3D model into a background photograph reproducing the camera position, focal length, lens characteristics & fitting the product into the scene by recreating the light sources, shadows & environment reflections. We also work this way in fully animated shots, to create highly compelling motion experiences.
Concept imagery doesn't have to look like concept imagery. Ideas can be explored in life-like photo quality & displayed in context.
Our client wanted lifestyle imagery of their product, but it had not been manufactured yet & the finishing options were too many, & too expensive.
They were able to produce brochures & social media campaigns and their customers could develop a desire for the product from the 3D we developed.
Flexibility & Control
- direct a visual look suitable for your brand.
- control the 3D environment, including location, weather & time of day.
- see exactly the aircraft you need, in the correct configurations, with the correct paint job or livery.
- pull off high-octane shots without worrying about safety.
- no need to develop physical models & prototypes in the exact specs needed at the point of sale.
- “access” locations or environments that would be politically or cost-prohibitive.
- keep real assets free from marketing film shoots to avoid downtime.
Good 3D animation has a high value to your business.
- it has a longer useful lifespan as a centrepiece on.
- at shows.
- as a talking point or as a prop/backdrop to a sales meeting.
- assets like models can be re-used on future videos or still images.
- extremely high image quality is possible, with much higher realism than typically seen in concept imagery.
- each solution is made for purpose & in a modular fashion wherever possible.
- research & development carried out in order support your specific needs.
- advanced visualization tooling can be developed & employed in future projects.
- tangible realism of the VFX approach engages viewers & drives interest, creating a more lasting impression, fuelling intrigue about the subject.
Phases of a project
Phase 1 - “Discovery”
- We learn about your business & your goals.
- We learn about your project & what will go in it.
- Produce basic storyboards.
- Produce Mood boards & explore initial look ideas.
- Draft project costing.
- Draft our personnel requirements.
Phase 2 - “Research & Look-Development”.
- Research & Develop any solutions your project needs, like custom shader code or modelling & animation tools.
- Full storyboarding & refine or expand mood boards if needed.
- Feasibility studies.
- Pre-Viz or pre-visualization if needed.
- Amend our costing.
- Amend our personnel requirements.
Phase 3 - “Asset Production & Shot Creation”.
- Rough out animations & cameras.
- Create all our data assets: models, textures, shaders, environments, props.
- Review Assets..
- Animation shots with final assets.
- Refine & review until the desired quality is reached.
Phase 4 - “Rendering”.
- Render/calculate raw image data from 3D shots.
- Composite together all our raw image data into finished and coloured raw image frames.
- Edit our final frames & shots into a full video.
- We will discuss your requirements with you & establish what your deliverables need to be.
- You may need us to advise you on playback hardware, specifications for the web or even a projector.
- You might need advanced sound reproduction systems depending on your display setup.
- You might just need video files for use on a tablet.